Allen and Helene Esslinger homesteaded five acres of land in the western part of the Las Vegas Valley in the 1950s. They paid a $10 application fee to the U.S. Department of the Interior and then a $375 filing fee for the five-acre site. The Esslingers moved an old house from downtown Las Vegas and with the help of a friend from Montana built this barn by hand. It became the landmark for that area of town at the corner of Charleston Boulevard and Lindell Road. The barn was used for many purposes, including antique auto restoration, parties and storage. The Esslingers’ daughter used the loft as a playhouse. The barn was donated to the Clark County Museum and today houses personal items from the Esslinger family and artifacts that depict the many uses of barns. For more information about the museum, located at 1830 S. Boulder Highway in Henderson, please visit ClarkCountyNV.gov or call (702) 455-7955.